Do you realized that Malaysia Loh Mai Kai is very different that Lor Mai Kai people served at the Dim Sum place in the state. The one they serve here usually wrapped with lotus leave and don't have a lot of ingredient. Malaysian style serve in a bowl( usually a metal bowl) with chicken, Chinese sausage, pork and mushroom. Don't recall when is the last time I had Malaysian style Lor Mai Kai and hubby never had one for sure. So this week, I made some Lor Mai Kai Malaysia style for him to try. Pretty satisfy with the outcome and it is not very difficult to prepare at all.
- 500g glutinous rice
- 2 chicken thigh cut into 8 pieces
- 7 slice Char Siew(bbq pork) - slice
- 1 Chinese sausage (lap cheong), slice
- 4 black Chinese mushrooms, soaked and cut into half
Chicken and mushroom marinade:
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Shao Hsing wine
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- Wash glutinous rice, then soak it for overnight.
- Marinate the chicken and mushroom for about one to two hours.
- Heat oil in pan, add glutinous rice and seasoning until well mixed.
- Grease 7 small-size rice bowls.
- Arrange mushroom slices, a few slices of Chinese sausages ,chicken and bbq pork slices.
- Top up with glutinous rice and press down with a ladle.
- Fill the bowls with water make sure the water level is above the rice.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes.
- Turn over the rice bowl onto a plate and serve