I found this chicken curry recipe from Kuali long time ago and this is my favorite recipe so far when comes to chicken curry. Before this recipe, my chicken curry tend to be very dry and oily, not much sauce for rice, noodle or even for bread. I get so frustrated because I love those dry chicken curry noodle I used to have at home and I love to eat curry with bread too. This recipe is just perfect for me, more sauce for my rice and it's great for dry curry noodle. yum yum!
- 750g chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 200g potatoes cut into wedges
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 100ml thick coconut milk
- 400ml thin coconut milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 5 fresh red chillies
- 1 stalk lemon grass, sliced finely
- 6 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp belachan
- 1 candle nut
- 2cm piece cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- Heat oil in a saucepan, fry lemon grass, curry leaves, additional spices and ground spices until fragrant and the oil separates and the mixture start drying out a nit..
- Add chicken and fry for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in thin coconut milk. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put in potatoes and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are just tender.
- Lastly, add the thick coconut milk and bring to a simmering boil for 3 to 4 minutes.( this is very important, add this thick coconut at the end but don’t let it boiled for too long, otherwise the coconut will turn into oil and you won’t get that much sauce you like.)
- Add salt/sugar to taste.