8 more weeks to go before baby #2 arrive, I guess it's time for me reduce my cooking and baking but stay relax, eat more and get more sleep. I was suppose to gain 1lb each week in my 3rd trimester but I have been loosing weight due to my illness in the past 2 weeks. Not a good sign :( Before I quit I want give my egg tart one more try.
So what do you think of the outcome? A success? well.. Hubby thinks that I still need to work on the crust a little more. I agreed with him but I still call this a success for a second trial. Not bad at all. To be frank, I was so surprise how this turn out as you know my first egg tart was a disaster.
The custard filling was very soft and moist just like the store bought, don't you think? This recipe is certainly a keeper. I am thinking for my next trial, I might swap the water and fresh milk amount to get a creamier custard filling.
- 360 g flour
- 188 g butter
- cold water 3 tbsp
- 1 1/2 egg yolk
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- Sieve the flour,custard powder, icing sugar together.
- Cut the butter into small cube and use your finger tips to mix till resemble bread crumbs.
- Beat the yolk lightly and mix into the flour mixture and add cold water.
- Knead lightly till the dough is from and pliable. Do not over knead the dough.
- Roll out the dough press lightly into the egg tart mold.
- Prick lightly with a fork and bake 320F for 8-10 minutes and remove from the oven.
Custard filling Ingredients :
- 4 eggs
- 16 tbsp water
- 8 tbsp fresh milk
- 150 g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tsp custard powder.
- Mix the water,milk, sugar and boil lightly till sugar melt.
- Beat the egg lightly with a fork, add custard powder and mix well.
- Pour 1/3 of the milk into the egg mixture and stir well to temper the egg.
- Then pour the entire milk mixture into the egg and mix well.
- Sieve the egg mixture to remove any lumps before used.
- Fill the pastry with custard and baked for 25 to 30 minutes at 320F until the custard is set. ( Adjust temp according to oven)