Another Success?

8 more weeks to go before baby #2 arrive, I guess it's time for me reduce my cooking and baking but stay relax, eat more and get more sleep. I was suppose to gain 1lb each week in my 3rd trimester but I have been loosing weight due to my illness in the past 2 weeks. Not a good sign :( Before I quit I want give my egg tart one more try.
So what do you think of the outcome? A success? well.. Hubby thinks that I still need to work on the crust a little more. I agreed with him but I still call this a success for a second trial. Not bad at all. To be frank, I was so surprise how this turn out as you know my first egg tart was a disaster.
The custard filling was very soft and moist just like the store bought, don't you think? This recipe is certainly a keeper. I am thinking for my next trial, I might swap the water and fresh milk amount to get a creamier custard filling.


Amelia, Just want to Thank You for your wonderful recipe and instruction. You are me hero haa..

Pastry Ingredients:

  • 360 g flour
  • 188 g butter
  • cold water 3 tbsp
  • 1 1/2 egg yolk
  • 6 tbsp icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp custard powder

Method:

  • Sieve the flour,custard powder, icing sugar together.
  • Cut the butter into small cube and use your finger tips to mix till resemble bread crumbs.
  • Beat the yolk lightly and mix into the flour mixture and add cold water.
  • Knead lightly till the dough is from and pliable. Do not over knead the dough.
  • Roll out the dough press lightly into the egg tart mold.
  • Prick lightly with a fork and bake 320F for 8-10 minutes and remove from the oven.

Custard filling Ingredients :

  • 4 eggs
  • 16 tbsp water
  • 8 tbsp fresh milk
  • 150 g sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3 tsp custard powder.

Method:

  • Mix the water,milk, sugar and boil lightly till sugar melt.
  • Beat the egg lightly with a fork, add custard powder and mix well.
  • Pour 1/3 of the milk into the egg mixture and stir well to temper the egg.
  • Then pour the entire milk mixture into the egg and mix well.
  • Sieve the egg mixture to remove any lumps before used.
  • Fill the pastry with custard and baked for 25 to 30 minutes at 320F until the custard is set. ( Adjust temp according to oven)
*** about 15 egg tarts

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cocoa, nice tarts. Congratulation.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, I have been wanting to bake some egg tarts for my elder boy...but I have yet to get down on it!!! by the way, just want to let you know that you have been tagged, check it out here: http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/2008/02/its-meme-time.html.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh yeah, it looks success to me! Very nice with smooth and creamy filling. Well done!

AK said...

Looks Yummy..I also long time didn't bake egg tart ..maybe should do it next time round..

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Such pretty egg tarts!

cocoa said...

ak and east meets west kitchen, thanks for your compliment.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cocoa,

Success indeed!

Do you know where I can get custard powder in the US?

p/s You are an amazing woman: pregnant, working full time, cooking and blogging.

cocoa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cocoa said...

Lee Ping,
I got my custard powder from indian groceries store. You might want to check them out in your area. The one I got is Bird's brand. it's a British product i think.

Thanks for your compliment. Trying to get more rest lately but still enjoy an occasion baking :)