This is my first CNY creation of the year. How could you complete a chinese new year celebration without a nian gao? So I decided to get some steaming going with this quick and easy nian gao recipe from fellow blogger on Tuesday night and get ready for CNY celebration.
This recipe was adopted from Florence . Never imagine I will make my own nian gao as I heard that there are many pantang larang when steaming a nian gao. I guess due to the culture differences, Hong Kong style nian gao seems to be easier to prepare as compare to malaysia version when people spend all day long just to steam the kuih.
- 300g glutinous rice flour
- 75g wheat starch (tang mien fun)
- 250g black/brown sugar
- 250ml water
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- Boil sugar with water till sugar dissolved. Strain and leave to cool. Stir in coconut milk and ginger juice.
- Pour sugar solution into sieved glutinous rice flour and wheat starch. Stir the mixture until well blended. Strain mixture if necessary so that it will be smoother.
- Pour nian gao mixture into a greased pan, cover it with aluminum foil and steam for about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Stick a red date in the middle of the cake immediately after it is cooked.