Low Fat Yogurt Cupcakes

Low fat yogurt cupcakes, does this sound healthy to you? It sure did for me.. looking for something not too sweet but yet sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and I found this from fellow blogger. The cake uses yogurt with very little butter, so no worry about trans fat. Adding yogurt to increase the calcium content, it is just perfect for me, since my doctor advise me to take at least 16oz of milk a day just to make sure I have enough daily calcium intake.
The cake is very light and soft right from the oven. Not too sweet. Since I have about 1/4 cup of chocolate chip left from my previous baking ( not sure when, but must be long time ago), thought just mix it in to kick it up a notch. This recipe enough to prepare 9 cup cakes, instead of using mixture, I whisked everything with hand therefore I did not follow exactly the method used from the original recipe. Next time I would double the recipe for ease mixing the ingredients with electric mixture.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 whole egg
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter (approx 45 g)
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Handful of chocolate chips ( optional)
Method:

  • Preheat oven to 355F.
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  • Whisk whole egg and set aside.
  • Beat the butter until soften, gradually add sugar and beat until soften and mixed well.
  • Dribble eggs in slowly and continue beating for a minute.
  • Add yogurt and mix well then add the flour to the mixture. Continue beat for another 2 minutes.
  • Add in choc chip and mix well.
  • Scoop into lined muffin tins about 3/4 cup full.
  • Bake for about 17-20 minutes and a tester inserted comes out clean.
** Bake about 9 cupcakes

I do notice the cake get a bit dense on the next day, wonder why? Keen to share any good cupcake recipes that will produce a light and airy cake that last for a couple days?

4 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

The vanilla cupcakes posted by Hut of Cranberry produced a light and soft cupcakes that lasted for days for me. You can try that. :)

Ling's Passion said...

This looks like cupcakes that one can indulge without feeling guilty...he..he..he

cocoa said...

Thank LCOM, will check that out.

Ling, thanks for visiting.

Aimei said...

I can't remember whether mine still remained soft for a few days cos' i finished it and shared with others within a day...:)

You want to try the new sour cream cupckes i jus tried,though 'm ot sur sure either how soft will it remained, and t'snot lowfat.:)