Another alternative way to cook anchovies besides Nasi Lemak but this dish can be serve as the side dish for Nasi Lemak as well. When cousin sister-in-law cooked this at home, I thought it was a very simple dish; all you need is some peanut, anchovies and sugar. It turns out I was wrong. It takes more than that. The moment I saw this recipes from Green Mangoes and Lemon Grass and I know I must try this. I love eat this especially with plain porridge.
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 2 cups dried cleaned anchovies
- 1/2 cup peanut
- 6 shallots, processed until coasty ground
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chilies powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Head 2 tbsp oil in a pan
- Add anchovies and stir fry over medium heat until crisp and brown.Remove from pan, drain on paper towel.
- Discard cooking oil, clean the pan.
- Heat the pan and add peanut. Stir fry over low-medium heat until peanut cooked. Remove from pan
- Heat remaining oil in a pan.
- Add shallot, stir fry over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, chilies powder and turmeric powder then cook for another minute or two.
- Return anchovies and peanut to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to cool before serving.