I find this salad is very refreshing especially accompany with some spicy meaty main dish. I never added shallot or red onion to this dish when I made this in the past. This week, I decided to try this recipe from Green Mangoes and Lemon Grass. Since I ran out of shallot, I substitute the shallot with red onion. They turned out quite good. I was surprise that with a little addition of red onion made quite an impact to the flavor for the whole dish.
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp water ( optional)
- 3 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium size cucumber
- 3 dried chilies (the recipe call 1 large red chili)
- 1/4 red onion (the recipe call for 2 shallots) thinly slice
- Crush peanut ( optional)
- Mix vinegar, sugar and water in a bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthways and scrape out the puply only if seeds are well formed.
- Cut across 1/2 in slice and toss in the vinegar mixture
- Add chilies and red onion.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least 30 min before serving.
- Serve with crushed peanut. ( optional)