Vinegared cucumber salad

I find this salad is very refreshing especially accompany with some spicy meaty main dish. I never added shallot or red onion to this dish when I made this in the past. This week, I decided to try this recipe from Green Mangoes and Lemon Grass. Since I ran out of shallot, I substitute the shallot with red onion. They turned out quite good. I was surprise that with a little addition of red onion made quite an impact to the flavor for the whole dish.

Ingredient

  • 4 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 3 tbsp water ( optional)
  • 3 tbsp castor sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 medium size cucumber
  • 3 dried chilies (the recipe call 1 large red chili)
  • 1/4 red onion (the recipe call for 2 shallots) thinly slice
  • Crush peanut ( optional)

Method:

  • Mix vinegar, sugar and water in a bowl and stir until dissolved.
  • Cut cucumber in half lengthways and scrape out the puply only if seeds are well formed.
  • Cut across 1/2 in slice and toss in the vinegar mixture
  • Add chilies and red onion.
  • Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least 30 min before serving.
  • Serve with crushed peanut. ( optional)

1 comment: