Pandan Sponge Cake

I love pandan cake and have wanted try make pandan chiffon cake forever but just never get the chance to do it. Originally I was planning to bake a pandan layer cake for my birthday but plan changed, didn’t really get to bake anything but end up with a mini store bought cake to share with my family. Still tempting to try the panda layer cake until I found this simple recipe from KC forum.

The cake is quite moist, soft and spongy. This is perfect to share with your friend who are lactose intolerance because it doesn't content any butter or milk. However, it has a very high contain of eggs. 8 eggs or more for the cake in this size. Don't think this something you want to eat everyday for health reason :)

This recipe is very simple and straight forward. The only downside is you have to use Sponge Cake Mix which I don’t think you can get it anyway in US. I brought the cake mix from Malaysia last Nov and I am so glad that I did.

Ingredients:
  • 435g sponge cake mix
  • 400g eggs ( about 8 eggs)
  • 100g coconut milk
  • 2 tsp sponge gel (ovalette)
  • 1 tsp pandan paste
  • PAM to coat the cake pan

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 360F
  • Grease a aluminum foil or parchment paper lined 10" cake pan with PAM
  • Using a cake mixer, beat all the ingredients together on low for 1 minute.
  • Turn to high and beat for another 12 minutes till cake mix is foam-like and very very thick.
  • Pour into cake pan.
  • Put the cake pan on a baking tray filled with about 1 cm of water. (This is the baine marie; culinary technical terms)
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes to an hour
  • After cake is done, do not remove the cake from the oven immediately but leave the oven door slightly ajar and allow cooling for 15 to 20 mins before remove from the oven.

2 comments:

tigerfish said...

Love pandan cake- It's like a comfort cake for me :D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks so soft and yummy!

Got an award for you!