Have you ever watch the Japaneses animation called Doraemon? Dorayaki is Doraemon favorite’s food. I never had Dorayaki until I came to the US. Since then I am addicted to the cake. You can find this cake from most of the Korean or Japanese groceries store but I think they are quite pricey. I found this recipe from the web and decided to give it a try and they turns out great. They are very easy to make but need a lot of patient when making the pan cake.
- 3 large eggs
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp Honey
- 180g self rising flour
- 400g Anko (Sweet red bean) or enough for the filling
- Beat eggs in a bowl and whisk it with a hand whisk, then slowly add in sugar and continue whisk very well or until the mixture turn pale
- Add milk and honey in the egg mixture
- Add sifted flour in the egg mixture gradually until the mixture becomes a smooth
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and let it stand for 30 minutes
- Heat a non stick pan in medium low heat.
- Pour a scoop of the batter in the pan to make it a small pancake. (I used 1 tbsp size scoop)
- Heat a frying pan and lightly oil it. Pour a scoop of the batter in the pan and make a small pancake.
- Turn over when bubbles appear on the surface (about 3 minutes) and cook the 2nd side for 40 sec to 1 minute max.
- The pan cake should have 1 side with coffee color and another side with pale brown color
- Place the cake on the wire rack and let it cool.
- To assemble the cake, look for 2 pieces with about the same shape and side.
- Place 1 scoop of anko (sweet red bean) on the pale yellow side and cover with another cake with the same side
If you never heard about Doraemon, you might want to enjoy the video of Doraemon Episode 1 below: