Dorayaki (Japanese Red Bean Cake)

Have you ever watch the Japaneses animation called Doraemon? Dorayaki is Doraemon favorite’s food. I never had Dorayaki until I came to the US. Since then I am addicted to the cake. You can find this cake from most of the Korean or Japanese groceries store but I think they are quite pricey. I found this recipe from the web and decided to give it a try and they turns out great. They are very easy to make but need a lot of patient when making the pan cake.
Ingredients:

  • 3 large eggs
  • 8 tbsp sugar
  • 5 tbsp milk
  • 2 tsp Honey
  • 180g self rising flour
  • 400g Anko (Sweet red bean) or enough for the filling
Method:
  • Beat eggs in a bowl and whisk it with a hand whisk, then slowly add in sugar and continue whisk very well or until the mixture turn pale
  • Add milk and honey in the egg mixture
  • Add sifted flour in the egg mixture gradually until the mixture becomes a smooth
  • Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and let it stand for 30 minutes
  • Heat a non stick pan in medium low heat.
  • Pour a scoop of the batter in the pan to make it a small pancake. (I used 1 tbsp size scoop)
  • Heat a frying pan and lightly oil it. Pour a scoop of the batter in the pan and make a small pancake.
  • Turn over when bubbles appear on the surface (about 3 minutes) and cook the 2nd side for 40 sec to 1 minute max.
  • The pan cake should have 1 side with coffee color and another side with pale brown color
  • Place the cake on the wire rack and let it cool.
  • To assemble the cake, look for 2 pieces with about the same shape and side.
  • Place 1 scoop of anko (sweet red bean) on the pale yellow side and cover with another cake with the same side
Makes 14 sandwiches.

If you never heard about Doraemon, you might want to enjoy the video of Doraemon Episode 1 below:

7 comments:

Lee Ping said...

This is one of my husband's favorite dessert. I will try to make this!

Lee Ping said...

Dear Cocoa,

I finally attempted your recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us. Your husband is very blessed to have you as a wife. I have been reading your blog and I like your recipes. I will definitely come back for more ideas in the near future.

Perhaps I did not wait long enough, my pancake did not turn out as fluffy as yours. By the way, did you add the honey when you are adding the milk? I did not see honey in the steps, but I just assumed it should go with the milk.

cocoa said...

Thanks for you compliment.

Yes, I add the honey with the milk together. The longer you let the batter sit in the room the pancake will get fluffier. So I said at least for 30 min to 40 min. When I made my first batch, I let it sit for too long and cake turn out to be very fluffy and a little too soft. Another note, if you use a non-stick pan, you might want skips the oil coating on the pan so the cakes don’t get too oily.

Lee Ping said...

Thanks for the tip. I did not oil my pan at all because it was a brand new non-stick pan.

Lee Ping said...

Dear Cocoa,

I just posted Dorayaki in my "desserts" page, http://tinyurl.com/2f94za

Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great recipe.. I tried and my family loves 'em so much.. My boyfriend's favorite.. Whenever we at the Jap supermarket, he has to have them. Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i just made this! so nice
but the pancake tastes kinda hard/dry

prob how its meant to be.